- 56 best/worst similes used in high school exams...
- The Guy Quote - Robert Mitchum
- Hatsuhana doing penance under the Tonosawa waterfall
- The Guy Quote - Pablo Picasso
- There are men too gentle to live among wolves
- Nine fists of the Ken Juroppo
- The Willow Pattern Story
- M.C. Escher in Lego
- And you though foie gras was bad. Meet the ortolan.
- Rapha-quette - rules for modern cyclists
- RT @mattuthompson: This is extraordinary. The Conservative Party press Twitter account has renamed itself "factcheckUK" as if to give the i… 19 hours ago
- @GarethEvansUK @MCNnews Congrats Gareth! 19 hours ago
- @sniffpetrol @Carpervert Big fan of the hard anyway 1 day ago
- @oliviasolon I mean, aside from Vienna, which an absolute classic, I can’t name any other of their songs off the cuff... 1 day ago
- @Jackguinness Serious socks appeal 1 day ago
Tagalogadvertising advice animals animation art arts black and white books cars cat chart cinema comedy cool dance data death design dog education entertainment etiquette facebook family fashion film food funk funny gif guitar health history illustration infographic jack dyson japan jazz journalism life love music nature philosophy photo photography piano poem poetry politics quotations quote quotes reading religion satire science sculpture sea sex silly skate slow motion society space sport stop motion the guy quote travel video viral war winter writing youtube
- Tom Rosenthal – How have you been?
- A note on Brexit, and putting thy money where thy mouth is
- Jack and his fiddle
- The man who hears everything (“That’s a good beep, Lar”) – modern arts and crafts
- Aim Higher and Breakfast, Dallas Clayton is RAD
- The Old Man And The Sea (animated, paint on glass, by hand, by golly and by gosh)
- Happy brains and a year of ping pong
- Antarctica. And it’s a kind of paradise.
- An Object At Rest – the life of a stone
- “When I was done dying” – beautiful, swooping animation to sound
- “We smell sausage!” Mark Mothersbaugh has an amazing synth collection
- A glorious McSweeney post – “Why you should not have broken up with me, according to various critical theories”
- Night sky time lapse corrected to show earth moving rather than stars. Gorgeous.
- Life advice from Werner Herzog (via @Kottke)
- The trouble with geraniums
Tag Archives: pretty
Warren Ellis’s cat died (on my birthday), so he wrote this:
Our three cats were basically rescues: we bought them to get them out of a shitty garden centre that was storing them on cold dirty concrete with an upturned rabbit run over them and no food that we could see. The smallest of the three ended up being rushed to the vet the next day, who told us that if we’d waited another 24 hours he’d be dead. I was writing a character who was small and crap, at the time, and so this small crap cat got his name: Anton.
Anton lived a little over sixteen more years. Today, while everyone else was out, I got the vets to come and see him, and they told me that it was sudden kidney failure and he was beyond treatment. So I sat with him, and thanked him, and told him we love him and that he was a good boy while they carefully gave him the injection, and as I stroked him he gave me that half-lidded look that meant it was good, and then he was asleep. And I’ve just finished burying him in the back garden.
And I’m getting these notes down now because first he was my friend who travelled around the house in the palm of my hand, and then he was my daughter’s best friend for very many years, and because he came out into the back garden with me three evenings ago (he was a housecat who didn’t go outside) and stood at the edge of the path, facing the garden, and gave five or six loud shouts into the twilight, as if to say “I was here. Know me. I was here.”
And he was, and it was good. And he deserves for someone to know he was here.
And now comes the hardest part, of waiting for everyone to come home and telling them. But my little man is asleep in the garden now, next to my late father’s poppies, and so with that, and this note, I have taken care of him as best I can.