Do yourself a favour and full-screen this beauty. I grew up on stories of the Antarctic. My distant uncle (great great?) was one of Shackleton’s furthest south crew, my Dad went a few times, writing stories, making documentaries and lecturing on tourist ships. Some of the footage here is achingly beautiful. A different flavour of armchair tourism compared to the up-close Attenborough documentaries. Really lovely.Director Kalle Ljung says: “This movie was shot during our 20 days trip to Antarctica in December 2014 to January 2015. We started from Ushuaia in Argentina and went to Port Williams in Chile, rounded Cape Horn and crossed the Drake Passage towards the Melchior Islands in Antarctica. We spent 16 days in the Antarctic and got to experience the most amazing scenery and wildlife before we returned back to Ushuaia.”
- The Guy Quote - Robert Mitchum
- 56 best/worst similes used in high school exams...
- The Willow Pattern Story
- RayBan Vagabond
- Raquel Welch - is there NOTHING she can't do?
- I'm a believer vs. Faith no more -- for and against the heavenly trumpets
- Firing bullets under water
- Mozart, Piano Concerto No. 21, Andante ("Elvira Madigan")
- The Guy Quote - Pablo Picasso
- The Guy Quote - Abraham Lincoln
- The Americans are catching on, @robhalloway, @mrsrubbish: A Pencil Shop, for Texting the Old-Fashioned Way nyti.ms/1L4Ud1F 3 days ago
- What Makes Us Happy, Revisited (the conclusion is the thing) theatlantic.com/magazine/archi… 3 days ago
- @OllieMarriage it's a Nicer, because it doesn't spoil it, it makes it nicer... 3 days ago
- RT @HawksmoorLondon: Dear @MailOnline, why are you using a photo of our steak to illustrate 'Nigerian restaurant sells human meat'? Legal? … 4 days ago
- Well that's alright then: Command and control contract for Britain's armed nuclear police outsourced to Capita ind.pn/1QXh0jT 5 days ago
Tagalogadvertising advice animals animation art arts black and white books cars cat chart cinema comedy cool dance data death design dog education entertainment etiquette facebook family fashion film food funk funny gif guitar health history illustration infographic jack dyson japan jazz journalism life love music nature philosophy photo photography piano poem poetry politics quotations quote quotes reading religion satire science sculpture sea sex silly skate slow motion society space sport stop motion the guy quote travel video viral war winter writing youtube
- Antarctica. And it’s a kind of paradise.
- An Object At Rest – the life of a stone
- “When I was done dying” – beautiful, swooping animation to sound
- “We smell sausage!” Mark Mothersbaugh has an amazing synth collection
- A glorious McSweeney post – “Why you should not have broken up with me, according to various critical theories”
- Night sky time lapse corrected to show earth moving rather than stars. Gorgeous.
- Life advice from Werner Herzog (via @Kottke)
- The trouble with geraniums
- Stormscapes 2 by Nicolaus Wegner is stunning, majestic and powerful. Full screen, immediately!
- This backpack designed for poor kids does so much more than carry books
- Pendulum Wave – the sort of demo you’ll remember
- Completely agree with Weird Al…except for the split infinitive at 3.27 #wordcrimes
- “Toaster Tribute by Heywood Banks” Sponsored by the Toast marketing board (yeah Toast!)
- Four-year timelapse of an exploding star (one for the full screen)