World War II: Before the War is the first part in a series of 20 retrospective photo essays for Atlantic by Alan Taylor. It was a fascinating time of huge upheaval. Spain locked in civil war, Fascism on the rise, Japan invading China, the US still reeling from the Great Depression – and far from the only country to be suffering. I’ve chucked a couple of images below, but make sure you look at the whole series here. It’s a powerful reminder that however much time or Hollywood might blunt the edges this was, for the whole world, a period of massive change and conflict that is all too easily dismissed but should never be forgotten.
- 56 best/worst similes used in high school exams...
- The Guy Quote - Carl Jung
- The Guy Quote - Robert Mitchum
- The Guy Quote – Alan Watts
- Fumblerules of grammar
- "Cinema is the ultimate pervert art" - Slavoj Zizek on horror and reality
- Mozart, Piano Concerto No. 21, Andante ("Elvira Madigan")
- John Dyson
- Morning poem: Business Girls, by Sir John Betjeman
- The guy quote - Charles Bukowski
- @Raven__Smith Start offering them things to read on the way in... 21 hours ago
- RT @andresfaucher: What if the Internet was so slow it loaded one word at a time? Defend #NetNeutrality https:/… 21 hours ago
- @bsmeinfo @GregWilliams718 @WiredUK Well done @GregWilliams718 and @WiredUK!!! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 21 hours ago
- So...Guess who is planning to ruin the internet by repealing #FCC instead of LISTENING TO EVERYONE independent.co.uk/life-style/gad… 1 day ago
- @amylynhatch @nytimes remember when being able to send an email with an attachment over 1mb was a big deal? 2 days ago
Tagalogadvertising advice animals animation art arts black and white books cars cat chart cinema comedy cool dance data death design dog education entertainment etiquette facebook family fashion film food funk funny gif guitar health history illustration infographic jack dyson japan jazz journalism life love music nature philosophy photo photography piano poem poetry politics quotations quote quotes reading religion satire science sculpture sea sex silly skate slow motion society space sport stop motion the guy quote travel video viral war winter writing youtube
- A note on Brexit, and putting thy money where thy mouth is
- Jack and his fiddle
- The man who hears everything (“That’s a good beep, Lar”) – modern arts and crafts
- Aim Higher and Breakfast, Dallas Clayton is RAD
- The Old Man And The Sea (animated, paint on glass, by hand, by golly and by gosh)
- Happy brains and a year of ping pong
- Antarctica. And it’s a kind of paradise.
- An Object At Rest – the life of a stone
- “When I was done dying” – beautiful, swooping animation to sound
- “We smell sausage!” Mark Mothersbaugh has an amazing synth collection
- A glorious McSweeney post – “Why you should not have broken up with me, according to various critical theories”
- Night sky time lapse corrected to show earth moving rather than stars. Gorgeous.
- Life advice from Werner Herzog (via @Kottke)
- The trouble with geraniums
- Stormscapes 2 by Nicolaus Wegner is stunning, majestic and powerful. Full screen, immediately!